Saturday, January 30, 2010

Disappointment

Have you ever been disappointed? Silly question,I know. Unfortunately we live in a world where it's extremely difficult to avoid. Either we are disappointed or disappointing someone. Lately I have dealt with what I think is more than my share. This past week has been challenging to say the least. I looked up the word in the dictionary to get a better understanding of the definition.

Disappointment- the act or an instance of disappointing; the state or emotion of being disappointed.
Disappointing- failing to meet expectations
Disappointed- defeated in expectation or hope; obsolete; not adequately equipped.

I thought about it for a bit and then decided to look in the Bible to see if there was anything about the subject. Well I didn't have to look far, the book of Genesis chapter 3, the first disappointment, Adam and Eve "failed to meet expectations" of God. The book of Job, yes I know totally being disappointed,(if you never read it, it's a tough read, you start out wondering if your being encouraged or feeling depressed). Then you have the book of Matthew, where the story of the crucifixion, lots of disappointments there.

Could it be that we are not prepared for the situation at hand? Could it be our expectations are un-realistic? It's a bit of both I think. Sometimes I think we set ourselves up for failure. You, know take a test, before studying for it, and get a failing grade. Going against your morals in a situation because your afraid, only to feel disappointed later in yourself.

Have you ever heard of the saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle"? I will be honest, I always thought that was a bowl of crap, I mean really? In the mist of the storm your certainly not saying to yourself," hey bring it on, I can handle it". But a close friend of mine said that saying to me recently and I thought I was going to vomit. I said, "where is that in the Bible"? She said "1 Corinthians 10:13" At that point all I could say is "oh". I looked it up and she was right, now it doesn't say it in those words, but it was clear what God was saying.

Well that verse gave me hope, it allowed me to see that God knows what is going on. Regardless of if we were at fault for the situation or not, he will carry us through.
All through out the Bible it shows that our disappointments in life, are character builders, developing patience and faith,giving us hope and teaching us to trust God and not ourselves. If we allowed God to work in our lives more, maybe we wouldn't notice the "disappointments".

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment